About Me

Hi, my name is Hoss. I have been playing music for over 20 years and enjoy using the gifts that God has given me to return praise back to Him. I currently lead worship at El Camino Baptist Church in Tucson, AZ. I hope you enjoy my blog and let me know what you think of my songs. For easier access you can jump to different songs by using the Labels section.

Friday, February 18, 2011

El Camino Blog

So for those that may not read it, El Camino Baptist has a blog (http://www.elcaminochurch.blogspot.com/) where the 5 ministry leaders put down some thoughts each week (or as often as I can coerce them to). So I thought I would also share my posts on this blog as well. I find it really cathartic to put into writing what God has been doing in my life. I suggest it to everyone, even if no one reads it. It's just one more way to capture yourself in the promises of God:

I have been re-reading Matthew during my morning devotions and I came across this passage from chapter 5, verse 48:
"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
That is one heavy command. But, think about the wording of that first phrase. We are to be perfect. He doesn't say we will be perfect. He doesn't say we can be perfect. If we were able to achieve perfection then we wouldn't have a need for our perfect Heavenly Father. God wants us to strive toward righteousness and holiness. If we are going to be a light to our world, will that be better accomplished sitting in the comfort of where we are spiritually or having a constant and burning desire for purity? Romans 6:18 has the answer:
"and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment